Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wanted Dead or Alive...

Amanda's winterguard show this year was titled "Wanted Dead or Alive", and set to the music by Bon Jovi. The judges did not like the show at all, they prefer ballads that feature more dance. This show was fast paced, and featured more equipment work, not dance. Needless to say,the judges (who were the same judges week after week), never scored them very high. They even went as far to suggest they switch the music to an instrumental version of the song. C'mon, who wants to hear a slow, instrumental version of this song! This show was a crowd pleaser, it was different from all the other boring shows that we had to sit through, and the girls had a great time performing it. I give a lot of credit to the instructors for not caving in to their suggestions, and keeping the show the way it was. They traveled to Pittsburg in February for a regional competition, which was judged by a new group of judges,and they made it all the way to finals. I guess the judges in Pitt liked the show and appreciated that it was different from all the other shows that they had to judge. I guess it is true, if the judges don't like the show from the beginning, they will never like it. Amanda says this is her last year performing in the winterguard, she says she wants to try something else next year. I accept her decision, but I admit I feel sad, I love watching her perform! I'm sure her coaches and team mates will be sad that she is leaving. Her coaches told me that she is a great captain, and can really lighten the mood when practice isn't going so well with her quick wit and goofy sense of humor. If this is her last year, at least she got to perform in an awesome show!

No comments: